Thursday, May 20, 2010

Irons on the fire... updated

Hi Friends-- time for a mini update and some pics!

Awhile back I posted about "productivity coming in streaks."  So today I wanted to give a little update to remind you all, and myself, that life goes on... ... (today's comments are in red) ... comments from the original post are in black.

* Dekker's birthday party-- I was really stressed out about this but for no reason.  We had such a terrific weekend and in the blink of an eye it was over and my baby was a toddler.  Sweet thing.



* Hosting Easter Dinner for my folks and Dave's.  Again, timely and lovely.  I decided that since we're already driving to the bakery for the treats we might as well just buy the bread rolls she's been gushing about on facebook.  They were worth every penny.  We survived this, too, and had a special Easter moment with our boy.  We also had our first "by the tree" picture.  My mom took a picture of my brother and I every year at Easter until it became a family joke.


* I have decided that for some reason this year we MUST have the AC unit inspected.  This was done as well.  All clear, and we will have it done differently next time :) Live and learn.

* Decided this would be a good time for another round with the landscaping guy (part of my quest for simplicity).  The "throw money at it" is getting rather expensive now!  I just want an estimate on taking out some MORE of the shrubbery in our yard-- more lawn please, plus a spring clean up/cut back (this currently takes us almost two full weekends-- and I cuss out the former owners the entire 4 days), plus I want to know how much to totally remove the so-not-kid-friendly pond.  We'll see what he comes back with, tomorrow at 1:30.  Ug, there went my morning nap picking up dog poop. Well he came and we said yes and we are pond-less.  It is almost done.  The mulch looks fantastic and so does the old pond area-- will look better when it's totally done (look for the upcoming "Before and After" post).



* I continue to clean out my closets.  I am almost condensed to ONE closet of clothes.  I have six bags for the Open Door and am encouraging Dave to fill one up.  I need to get them at least to my trunk before the festivities this weekend.  Welp, I am still cleaning and those clothes are still in the trunk of my car!  I am moving onto books next, hopefully with the help of my friend Cari.

* I deep cleaned Dekker's room, including his windows, lights, and toted up all his clothes, burp rags, boppy, bath seat, unused bottles, etc.  Incredible.  His room looks amazing and it encourages me to keep the path for the rest of the house.  No more clutter. Still looks great and is still an encouragement to keep my house looking nice and to get rid of stuff we don't need.


* We took out a wall in our kitchen about two years ago.  Yep, 24 months ago.  Then we laid all new flooring.  Then, when I was about 30 weeks pregnant we painted everything and put on new hardware.  And then we had a baby who never stopped crying, and then when he did we have just eaten up every minute with him.  So this week we got the finishing touches lumber and it is almost totally done.  And I hired the lovely simplicity party host to help with the hearth room (I love you Kim).  So we have been looking at products and making plans and I love it.  I have some money set aside and I think it's going to come out absolutely fantastic.  I was right, it looks fantastic.  Here is another sneak peak to the "Before and After" post





* I am also scheduling Dekker's one year photos with Nellie Smith in Lincoln.  Ended up at Sears and that was okay... they were just what we needed.


And his one year check up.  Done. And that means I need a visit to the doctor. Scheduled. And my 403b needs rolled over by next Friday (I have put that off since September).  Not done.  Missed the deadline which will eventually be okay, but will make tax time a hassle.  I have already consulted my "money guy" who told me long ago to move the money because that deadline would sneak up on me.  Ug.  He was sooo right. And our credit card number got stolen today so we have an outstanding $100 charge to FARMVILLE.  (I didn't even know that stuff cost money?  Ridiculous.)  Repaid.  No biggie.  But I have been watching you all on facebook to see who really loves Farmville.

That's a lot of irons on the fire.  If I was my own counselor I would say to enjoy every day, to bless events as they come and set them aside, and to not get wrapped up in tomorrow and lose sight of today.  I feel so incredibly blessed that this is exactly what happened.  I enjoyed these things and took them as they came and all the while tried really hard not to lose sight of the present.

I have a new list of things.  But I always will.  I had a college professor once tell me that it's not the destination... but the journey.  We never fully "arrive" and once we get through one list there will always be something to take its place.  That's why we want to focus on enjoying the journey.  In other words, if we wait until "it's all done" to be happy, we will never be happy.  So, so true.

On the journey (and enjoying it),

Stef

1 comment:

  1. Love it all! you are an inspiration. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete