Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hello, Wednesday

Today is a good day.  After all, Psalm 118:24 reminds me that, "This is the day which the Lord has made; we will be full of joy and delight in it."  I am reminded today that (Psalm 30) joy comes in the morning, (Nehemiah 8:10) the joy of the Lord is my strength.  We've got joy, people!  And I have a few Wednesday ramblings for you.

Rambling #1: We sold the alligator off of Craigslist.  So long little buddy-- he was a pond accessory and water actually shot out of his mouth-- kinda cool (just kinda).  Aside from the cash and de-cluttering the back yard, one of my favorite things about Craigslist is the PEOPLE.  I love the type of people who buy off Craigslist.  I am one of them.  I just can not get enough of people-- they fascinate me.  Last night this super nice man from Council Bluffs drove all the way to our house to hand us $40 for this beast.  And then told us a rather lengthy story about his turtle collection (it's live) all while the sweet neighbor boys tried to talk to all of us through the fence.  Then, he called my son a girl and repeatedly referred to him as "her."  I tried to correct him passively, by saying things like, "Yep, HE'LL have more grass to play in..." but it didn't work.



Rambling #2: My SON's hair may or may not need a cut.  Aside from nice-Craigslist-man, the nurse at our One Year well baby appointment told me today to "lay her right here."  I laughed.  I said, "He's a boy.  He might need a haircut."  She talked like a nervous person talked but finally did say that she should have known with a name like... Dekker.



Rambling #3: I love Chinese food.  My sweet husband took time off to go to the appointment with me today and then we went for lunch.  I love having lunch with Dave far more than Chinese food any day.  The server asked if we needed a highchair... "for him? her?"  Okay... I get it.  Dekker also all but screamed through our lunch.  My brother's wife always says that she likes to go out to eat with the kids to remind her why she doesn't.  I completely understand.

Rambling #4: I am making Cattleman's Twice Baked Potatoes as we speak (Adrienne Randel's recipe).  So good I can't help but to share the recipe:

Preheat oven to 350
5 Large Baking Potatoes: Scrubbed, covered in olive oil, rubbed in salt and baked at 350 for one hour.
1/3 cup half-n-half (I use fat free)
1 cup sour cream (again)
3 tbsp green onions or chives, minced
4 strips bacon, fried and crumbled (I use turkey bacon or low sodium-- same points actually)
1/2 tsp parsley
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1.5 to 2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted (Blue Bonnet Light)
* Bake potatoes for one hour at 350 or until tender in center.  Cut in half lengthwise.  Scoop out potato carefully as to not tear skin.  Mash potatoes with mixer.  Add half-n-half and continue to beat until smooth.  Add all other ingredients and mix well.  Mixture should be somewhat softer than regular mashed potatoes to prevent drying out when baking again (may need to add more half-n-half or milk).  Fill skin shells with mixture and arrange on cookie sheet.  Top each with extra cheddar cheese.  Bake at 350 for another 20 minutes (or freeze them and thaw, then bake for the last 20 min).

Well, it's my first time to make them, so I hope they are good.  I will point them... someday.  Any WW people out there want to help a girl out??

8:50PM: I feel the need to update this ASAP.  So...... about those potatoes that were in the oven.  Well, turns out that they are MUCH harder to "scoop out" than I anticipated.  I started with 6 and ended up with 4 because I could absolutely not salvage the skin off two of them-- they were just mangled.  So... Dave and I enjoyed some super duper "loaded" mashed potatoes with our chicken tonight.  Why not?  The four twice baked potatoes are in the freezer, ready for whenever they need to make their appearance.

Rambling #5: Much more serious.  Like many of you, I am remembering Owen Nass today.  I feel so privileged to have met Owen, and to call his (incredible) parents my friends.  Happy First Birthday, Owen.

On the journey,

Stef

2 comments:

  1. Great ramblings, love the pic of Dekker. No, I do not think he looks anything like a girl! If it makes you feel any better when Blakely was a baby, she would be in pink from head to toe and usually a bow in her hair and people would say "he" is so cute! I think some people are just clueless. Oh well, i guess there's worse things, but can drive a mother crazy! That's my rambling for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I def. need to have you guys over for dinner soon so you can make your cattleman's twice baked potatoes :) Hope all is well, we really need a mommy/playdate soon, I miss you Friend!

    ReplyDelete