Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Well Hello To You Too, Sir

Oddly enough my phone was blowing up over the weekend with Craigslisters.  I have some interested company in the POND, which is fantastic since we would love to use that money to help pay for the landscaping guy, if he ever makes it to my house (go away rain).  Last night the oddest couple came over to look at the garden pavers.  They wanted to stand out in the cold and chat about colored concrete and they didn't buy anything.  I tried to be polite but finally I started heading to the door and told them to drive safe.  Again, I love people who shop off Craigslist.  Such a fun sociology experiment.

Anyway, we were at church Sunday night (after a fab weekend at our friends cabin) and my phone has a message.  I assume it is from Craigslist so I tell my friends to wait so they can hear this message-- because for some reason I think everyone thinks this is as interesting as I do-- "Hey, I'm calling about the turtle that has water coming out of it's mouth..."  Anyway, we were all in for a surprise.  This is what I got instead...

"Hey my baby beautiful darling.  Just wanted to call and see if your Sunday was going wonderfully and if it is I hope it continues to go that way, Sweetie.  I love you.  (changes to a very low, serious tone) I'm so in love with you.  (back to normal tone) Call me if you get a chance."

Here is what was going on in my head as I listened.  My thoughts are in red.

"Hey my baby beautiful whoa wait a minute, this is not a Craigslist call.  What number was that?  I did not recognize that number... darling daughter?  Is this a joke?  Maybe this is my dad calling from Colorado-- he would call me a beautiful daughter.  This is too much.  I can't believe I'm standing in church with everyone waiting while I listen to this.  Just wanted to call and see if your Sunday was going wonderfully for sure not my dad.  This is borderline creepy...and if it is I hope it continues to go that way sweetie did he not listen to my voice mail?  Hello, this is Stef's phone... hello, this is a 402 number.  Is this actually for me?  Do I recognize this voice at all?  No I don't.  This has got to be a wrong number, right?!?.  I love you oh boy.  (changes to a very low, serious tone) I'm so in love with you I say out loud "Dave, you have got to listen to this."  I don't want to even appear to be hiding this from him-- no secrets, I promise.  Call me if you get a chance." Don't automatically hit delete, don't hit delete, don't hit delete.


In case you are wondering I did delete today after I listened to it approximately five times so I could transcribe it here.  While it was not my husband (though he does leave me yummy messages from time to time), it did warm my heart to know that two people out there are so in love and that my voice mail picked up a little of the love.

Awkward, but lovely.

On the journey,

Stef

1 comment: