Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Surgeon #2

Today, I am in just absolute awe of medical science.  What an incredible time we live in.  Today we had a 2:30 appointment with Dr. Jason Miller, a pediatric Cranial/Facial Surgeon.  Dr. Miller has made it his life's work to correct deformities in children.  He is, apparently, nationally known for his work on the jaw and is one of the only surgeons who does the Cranial Vault Reconstruction around, and the only in Omaha.  Have I mentioned how glad I am to live down the street from this hospital and medical center?  Wow.  Anyway, the appointment went on without fanfare and was, simply, simple.  We spent more time checking in then anything :)

Dr. Miller was patient, confident, well-spoken, and easily explained the surgery to David and me.  He wasn't exactly the friendliest guy on the block-- but we don't need a social butterfly, we need an exceptional surgeon!  We knew all of what he said, but it's always good to confirm your Google results with an actual doctor, you know.  When we met with the neurosurgeon, Dr. Treves, the diagnosis was still officially considered "uncertain" until after the results of the CT Scan.  So Dr. Miller was able to talk in certain terms with a bit less "if this, then this" mentality.   He did explain some details of the massive surgery, including the little fact that the skull does in fact come off the head (thank you neurosurgeon) and is reshaped by him with disposable plates and screws before being replaced and stitched up.  He said that like he was reading a children's book-- you know-- no big deal!  Ha!  We talked about risks and recovery and our hospital stay.  It was a "reality check" in some ways, but in many ways we continue to feel at such peace. 

Our big PRAISE for the appointment was that he, too, believes this is a "stand alone" case and is not associated with an underlying syndrome.  I might be ready to put that fear to rest :)

Our big PRAYER REQUEST after this appointment is scheduling the surgery.  He took pictures of Tucker's head and said he will have a letter sent to our insurance, which typically takes four weeks to totally clear.  He said he has only had one denied, and it was easily reversed, but that they still have to pre-certify and that this is the next hurdle to clear.  Then, we can schedule, which is another 2-4 weeks out, depending on schedules-- including summer vacations (the Doctors, not ours :) We would really like to have this behind us.

I have a hard time with this because I want God's timing and His will to be accomplished.  BUT I also want this surgery to happen before late July, as I go back to work the first of August.  So my plan is to be "that mom" and harass the insurance company and simultaneously pray that God's timing is achieved.  If I do all I can and God opens doors, we will walk through, but if He doesn't, we know that He is in control and sees "up stream" like we can not.  We trust Him.  He loves Tucker more than we do.  That's such a crazy thought.

Thank you so much for your continued prayers.  I was overwhelmed with love and support today in the form of texts, calls, facebook messages, and my sweet students and a few co-workers even stopped to pray with me!  While you are praying over Tucker will you pray for our church services on Sunday?  That I am able to clearly communicate the Word I believe God has given me?  Thank you.

Here are a few pics before I close:

Super Cool.  We checked into the floor (after checking in twice and completing a phone interview :)
and they gave us this-- like at a restaurant.  Then it lit up and vibrated and told us which door to go to. 
Seriously, ah-mazing.

Tired from a big day!

The lobby to this Medical Center.  I am so sad that places like this have to exist, but
glad it does.

On the Journey,
Stef

1 comment:

  1. Great to chat today. I love praying with and for my friends so I will be remembering you. Hoping with you for a July surgery date.

    ReplyDelete