Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Six for Six

In honor of Dave and my six year anniversary, I am writing six wonderful things about him.  I did this last year, and upon reviewing it, I am going to try and find some new things-- but that doesn't mean those things still aren't wonderful and alive.

1.  Your faith.  Well, I can't not mention this.   It was the most attractive thing about you when I met you, and it still is-- which says a lot.  I still remember the devotion you gave on our way home from Mexico in 2003.  You were such a HUNK up there reading from your Bible in your cargo shorts and glasses.  You snored all night in that huge gym, but I forgot all about it when you prayed!  Seriously, you live your faith out in your everyday life, words, and actions-- and I admire that about you.  I'm lucky to have you.

2.  The way you put me at ease.  You know just how to make me laugh.  You do wonders for my anxiety ("I know what would help, let's worry") and you loosen me up!  Before I met you, I was like a square who needed softer edges.  Thank you for helping me relax, and reminding me that perfection is not the goal.  You are a great communicator, and when I'm in a ridiculous tizzy you are clear and use language I swear you read in my counseling books.  

3.  You are a great dad.  You are wonderful with Dekker.  You are such an involved Dad and Dekker is so lucky.  I love hearing you put Dekker to bed, play games with him, read him books and sing him songs-- even the National Anthem.  Because you are right, there is nothing wrong with having a patriotic child.  Thanks for not calling it "babysitting" and instead calling it "parenting" when I'm away for the weekend or working for the night, or need my own time-out in the middle of the day!

4.  You cry.  Or, you get something in your eye every baptism at church, occasionally when you see Dekker do something wonderful (or wonderfully ordinary), see an ultrasound, see any female in your family cry, when we say good-bye to special family members, when we talk about or read something sad, and when you watch X-Men.  Well, maybe that was actually something in your eye, I'm not sure.  You are such a man's man, and that's why I love this trait about you.

5.  Your mad DIY skills.  The basement looks awesome-- new windows, electrical, framing, trim and all.  Your skills are all over this house, and I love this house.  You have saved us so much money, and heaven knows that I have nice taste.

6.  That you are never done dreaming, planning, thinking about the future.  It strikes my insecurity ("What's wrong with what we have?") but makes me smile, too.  God has wired you up to be a learner, and I want to be the person you share what you're learning with.

Happy Anniversary Dear.

We had a great anniversary weekend-- we dropped Dekker off in Lincoln with Grandpa and Nana Saturday lunch time.  He climbed right into their truck and popped into the car-seat.  We buckled him in and he said "Bye Mom.  Bye D."  He did not cry one tear-- he is so big and oh my he loves those two.  We came home and had a wonderful evening out-- light dinner, movie, sushi.  Then we slept until 9AM (oh how I miss that) and had lunch before we walked around Trader Joe's and went to pick up Dekker.  It was just 24 hours, but it was fun.  And we genuinely enjoy "windshield time" so it was great.  It was great to see Dekker, too.  He cried when he left Nana and Grandpa, in case you were wondering :)

Here's to year number Seven!

On the journey,
Mae

1 comment:

  1. I can totally hear Dave say the "I know what would help, let's worry" comment! And I know exactly what you mean about the "something in his eye" bit too. :-) Good for you!

    ReplyDelete